Thank you for your interest in the Urban Core Collective’s Transformational Leaders Program (TLP), a unique training program designed to advance a pipeline of Black and Latinx leaders within Grand Rapids. The program’s objective is to help emerging and existing difference-makers develop the hard and soft skills needed to promote racial equity. TLP leaders are radically changing the landscape of community as influencers in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors, as well as in grassroots movements, civic and voluntary board service and as residents of metro Grand Rapids.
All application materials are available on our website. None of the electronic application forms may be saved and all must be completed in one session. This overview of applications materials is designed to help you best prepare. If you have any questions regarding the application process or the program itself, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
All application components must be completed by Monday, August 24, 2020 at 5pm.
Virtual Interviews will take place Thursday, September 10th.
Final decision notifications will take place on Tuesday, September 15th.
Monthly session days from September - May (see exact schedule in application section).
1) Application (specific questions listed below). Find the application here: https://bit.ly/TLPapp2020
2) Recommendation Forms: Three individuals that can speak to your professional and leadership experience must provide a reference on your behalf. One of the references MUST be from your employer--unless you are unemployed or self-employed. You will be asked to identify who your references will be and provide their contact information on your application. Access the recommendation form at this link: https://bit.ly/TLPrec2020
3) Employer/Business Partner Support Form (if applicable): It is expected that all applicants discuss the program and the time requirements with their employer or business partner at the time of application. Information about session dates and expectations for participation is provided within the form. If this form is not applicable to you, please complete the form yourself by marking "not applicable" in response to the last question on the form. This support form is here: https://bit.ly/TLPemployer2020
4) Spouse/Partner Support Form (if applicable): It is expected that all applicants discuss the program and the time requirements with their spouse/partner at the time of application. Information about session dates and expectations for participation is provided within form. If this form is not applicable to you, please complete the form yourself by marking "not applicable" in response to the last question on the form. This form can be found here: https://bit.ly/TLPpartner2020
*Each candidate is responsible for sharing the appropriate forms with their references, employer/business partner and partner/spouse, as applicable.*
Review session dates and indicate your availability.
1. First Name
2. Last Name
3. Preferred Pronouns
5. Phone Number
6. Email Address
7. How did you hear about the program? If applicable, please write the name and organization of the person who recommended you to this program.
2. Date of Birth
4. Personality type
5. If selected for an interview, would you prefer to interview in English or Spanish?
6. Dietary restrictions
List schools attended, including high schools, colleges, short courses, and continuing education. Please specify the a) Name of the institution, b) Attendance dates, c) Graduation date, d) Degree and e) Certification. For example, "Grand Valley State University: 2002-2006, May 2006, Bachelor of Arts in Psychology".
1. Are you self-employed?
3. Employer Name
4. Business/Organization Address
5. Business/Organization Phone Number
6. Please describe your current employment, including the overall purpose of the organization and your key responsibilities.
7. What employment have you held in the past five years other than your current job? List a) Job title, b) Dates of employment, c) Where you were employed and d) Duties. For example, "School Social Worker: 2014-2017, Grand Rapids Public Schools - Collaborated with students to create their personal goal action plan. Partnered with teachers and administrative staff to implement positive behavioral practices within the school. Established communication networks between social worker team, student, teachers, and parents."
8. Do you have a LinkedIn page?
9. How often do you check your LinkedIn page?
10. How often do you post to your LinkedIn page?
1. On a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest, please rate the following: the strength of your professional network, your connectedness to community and your current knowledge of racial equity and disparities
2. Indicate your membership in organizations (paid or volunteer). Provide the title of any leadership positions you held within the organization. List the a) Name of the organization, b) Committees, and c) Position, if applicable. If you do not have any organizational membership experience, please type N/A.
3. Indicate any informal projects or work in the past 3 years in which you have taken a leadership role. List the a) Name/description of the project and b) Your leadership role on the project.
1. Briefly describe your most significant leadership achievement.
2. State your leadership/career goals for the next five years.
3. If selected, how do you plan to use the knowledge, skills, and experience you will gain from the Urban Core Collective's Transformational Leaders Program?
4. Discuss an issue related to racial equity in Grand Rapids that you are involved in addressing. If none, describe an issue related to racial equity you are interested in addressing, including any knowledge of organizations currently working in that area.
As part of your application we ask that you submit a video response to one of the prompts below. During one of the final TLP sessions, we will ask cohort members to participate in a video to capture their growth since participating in TLP. UCC may use your video for TLP promotion and marketing in the future. We strongly encourage applicants to submit a video, but it is not required.
We'll ask you to upload a 60-second video of yourself responding to one of the following questions: "At this stage in your life, how do you want to grow as a leader?" OR "What led you to apply to TLP?" If you experience difficulties uploading the video as part of the application form, please email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For your three references, submit their: 1) Name, 2) Email, and 3) Relationship to you. Be sure to then share the recommendation form link with them.
Applicants are required to submit 3 recommendations along with their completed application. One of the recommendations MUST be from your current supervisor or employer unless you are unemployed or self-employed. If you are currently unemployed or self-employed you are still required to submit 3 recommendations.
References should be professional or have experience working with you in a leadership capacity. Your references will be asked to describe your community involvement, leadership potential and professionalism.
Share the recommendation form via this link: https://bit.ly/TLPrec2020. Form questions listed below.
First and last name of TLP applicant.
3. Phone Number
4. Email Address
5. Current Occupation (Position/Title, Organization)
1. Please describe the nature of your relationship with the applicant (for example, colleague, supervisor, mentor, etc.)
2. How long have you known the applicant? (for example, 3 years, 4 months, etc.)
3. How well do you know the applicant?
4. Please rate the applicant for each of the following characteristics. Select the rating that you feel best describes the applicant in each category. Select "Not Observed" if you have no basis for assessment for a specific characteristic.
Leadership: Takes initiative and motivates others.
Ethics: Displays honesty, integrity, and ethical behaviors.
Reliability: Dependable, responsible, prompt, and thorough.
Judgment: Displays critical thinking skills, common sense, and decisiveness.
Oral Communication: Speaks clearly with precision and accuracy, without ambiguity.
Written Communication: Writing is precise, accurate, grammatically correct, and unambiguous.
Interpersonal Relations: Considerate, sensitive, tactful in response to others, and able to get along well with peers and superiors.
Adaptability: Reacts well to stress, is poised and controlled.
Teachability: Able and open to new knowledge and ways of thinking.
Cultural Awareness: Recognizes different cultural attributes and is willing to engage.
Community Engagement: Is actively involved in his or her community through activism, volunteering, board or committee involvement, etc.
Racial Equity: Regularly seeks to learn about the underlying causes, realities, and solutions to current racial disparities.
1. Recommendation concerning program admission (rate from highly recommend to do not recommend).
2. In the space below, please document your recommendation for this applicant’s admission into the Transformational Leaders Program.
It is expected that all applicants discuss the program and the time requirements with their employer or business partner at the time of application. Information about session dates and expectations for participation is provided in the support form. Please share the employer support form with your employer or business partner. If this form is not applicable to you, please complete the form yourself by marking "not applicable" in response to the last question on the form.
Access the employer/business partner support form at: https://bit.ly/TLPemployer2020
It is expected that all applicants discuss the program and the time requirements with their spouse/partner at the time of application. Information about session dates and expectations for participation is provided in the support form.
Please share the partner/spouse support form with your partner or spouse. If this form is not applicable to you, please complete the form yourself by marking "not applicable" in response to the last question on the form.
Access the partner/spousal support form at: https://bit.ly/TLPpartner2020
On Wednesday July 15, we hosted a live conversation with Dr. Leadriane Roby, Grand Rapids Public Schools Superintendent, to talk about education during this critical time. This is a summary of what we heard from the conversation, and some things we will be paying attention to in our ongoing advocacy efforts.