The existing community engagement process is not engaging communities of color proportionately. There are no minimum engagement standards leading to inconsistent engagement experience for residents. Residents do not know enough about or understand the development process. As a result, the growth of our city, its policies, and key decisions are being shaped predominantly by white residents.
A Grand Rapids where residents of all neighborhoods are engaged and people ofcolor are proportionatelyrepresentedin the various stages of the growth and development of our city.
• Analyze Current engagement & identify components to be improved
• Develop recommendations for community
• Present recommendation to community for feedback via survey
• Create pilot for implementation utilizing community feedback
• Present pilot to city commission for approval
• Implement pilot with Neighborhood Associations, other entities doing community engagement & developers
• More diverse and equitable representation of residents in the engagement process
• Standardized process for equitable access
• Increased the accessibility of relevant information and materials which the average resident can understand
A person with an interest or concern in something
Fair representation according to the needs of an individual or demographic
Participation by all residents in numbers reflecting the percentage of the demographic of the city which they make up
Individuals or organizations who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy. In this case we refer to resident advocates.
Results or performance based on race
City, municipality or county officials, some elected but not all, who make decisions about the community such as the City Commission and Planning Commission.
A big difference
Conforms to standards as defined by community
The Grand Rapids Neighborhood associations joined forces to work together and collaborate. They formed this Collaborative.
Results of decisions or policies which were not planned or foreseen, often secondary to the desired outcomes
An early or first version prior to launching the final product
A declaration of the problem that is to be solved
An ideal way for meetings to happen